Welcome! Please scroll down for Coronavirus Statement
We are a forest school based on the outskirts of Shepton Mallet. Shepton is part of the East Mendip Hills in Somerset. We are a non-profit making community group. Our Forest School aims to provide regular opportunities to achieve, as well as develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland environment.
Holly & Hawthorn Philosophy & Aims
The philosophy of Forest School is to encourage and inspire individuals of any age through positive outdoor experiences.
We aim to give children the opportunity to:
- access outdoors as a learning environment
- develop useful skills and awareness of nature and the environment
- increase motivation and learn alternative attitudes.
- increase confidence and self-esteem as participants
- improve ability to work together as a group and develop teamwork skills
Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 we understand there is growing concern around the spread of Coronavirus.
We currently intend to go ahead with sessions but will be constantly reviewing our decisions. Fortunately, there is reduced risk of infection at our facility due to being outdoors. It has been reported that the virus does not survive very long outside, so outdoor events are relatively safe. However, if local schools close there is a possibility we may also close.
Unfortunately, we will now cease to prepare & cook campfire food on site that is shared, and ask all staff and participants to bring their own food. Hot beverages will be available, but individuals should bring their own cups/mugs.
Please do not send your children to sessions if:
– they have a continuous cough or high temperature.
– they or anyone they have been in contact with have been to any of the countries listed on the government website in the last 2 weeks.
– they are in the high-risk category or have any of the risk factors.
– are in contact with anyone in the high-risk category.
We ask that you:
- let us know if your child is unable to attend because of Coronavirus isolation and share details in order that we can evaluate the risk ourselves.
- bring your own cups/mugs and food.
Shared equipment such as tools and often used objects and door fastenings will be frequently disinfected.
A Risk Assessment has been done for all of our sessions. We will keep updated via Government Guidelines & NHS website and review our Risk Assessment on a daily basis.